High School Science Academy
Due to COVID-19 safety considerations, this year's High School Science Academy will be a summer-only program.
Students enrolled in this program will meet for three weeks in the summer of 2021:
May 31-June 4 - Five-day program at Cedar Point Biological Station in Ogallala, NE
June 21-June 25 - Five-day program in the Omaha Metro Area
July 19-23 - Five-day program at the Nature Conservancy's Niobrara Valley Preserve
*If accepted into the program, students are expected to attend all program days. Students will travel by bus/van to Ogallala and Johnstown, NE. Transportation will be available for students for Omaha-area program days if needed.
Applications are now being accepted through April 19, 2021.
NWR's High School Science Academy aims to give Omaha high school students the opportunity to participate in college-level lectures and field/lab work, and nurture their interest in the biological sciences before leaving high school. In a typical year, students explore different topics in the biological sciences each month during the school year; however, due to COVID-19, this year's program will be summer-only and take place during three weeks in June and July 2021. All sessions will be taught by university professors and supervised by NWR's education staff. Past topics have included entomology, parasitology, prairie ecology, pollinators, small mammal diversity, genetics, bat biology, and much more!
All materials are provided and students are served meals and snacks at every session. If students and their families do not have access to transportation to and from sessions, it can be provided from school pick-up points at no charge in most cases
Apply Now through April 19, 2021!
|April 19, 2021||Application Deadline|
|May 31 - June 4||Cedar Point Biological Station 5-Day Session|
|June 21 - June 25||5-Day Program in Omaha Metro|
|July 19 - July 23||TNC Niobrara Preserve 5-Day Session|
Cedar Point Biological Station Topics and Activities Include:
- Ornithology with Allison Johnson, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Herpetology and Small Mammals with Dennis Ferraro, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Geology and History of Cedar Point with John Garbisch, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Camera trapping, hiking, nature writing, music and the outdoors, astronomy, boater safety, canoeing and more!
Omaha Topics and Activities Include:
- Science and Critical Thinking with Dr. James Wilson, University of Nebraska-Omaha
- Field Research and Mist Netting of Bats, Dr. Jeremy White, University of Nebraska-Omaha
- Beekeeping and Honey Production with Dr. Carol Fassbinder-Orth, Creighton University
- Using Genetics in Conservation Management, Dr. Sarah Gaughan, College of Saint Mary
- The Magic of Maggots, Dr. Amanda Roe, College of Saint Mary
- Wildlife/conservation photography, Native plants for food and medicine, kayaking, and more!
Niobrara Preserve Topics and Activities Include:
- Program to include include Mammalogy, Botany, Citizen Science, Entomology and others.
- The Ecology of Prairie Dog Towns
- Wildlife/conservation photography, hiking, bison herd viewing and more!
Important Forms for Students Enrolled in the HSSA
2021 Monthly Pages (Photos, Presentations, References and Links)