Veterinary Internship in Wildlife Medicine
June 1, 2023 – May 31, 2024
Nebraska Wildlife Rehab (NWR) is offering a one-year veterinary internship in wildlife medicine. The intern will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of medical care at NWR, including initial triage and examination, diagnostics, treatment, surgery, and pre-release evaluations. NWR receives approximately 6,000-7,000 animals each year from a wide variety of local species, including many bird and mammal species as well as a variety of reptiles and amphibians. NWR operates in a large new Wildlife Center and Hospital, equipped with a wide variety of advanced medical equipment. The intern will be a vital part of the ongoing growth of the facility and organization during continued expansion of the medical side. The intern will work directly with the staff veterinarian initially, with increased independence during the course of the internship as the intern’s comfort and experience levels grow.
Internship responsibilities and opportunities will include:
- Conducting intake examinations, performing initial diagnostics, creating treatment plans, and updating medical records.
- Assisting with or performing recheck examinations and treatments.
- Assisting with or performing surgeries, including orthopedic surgeries.
- Performing necropsies.
- Assisting with or performing pre-release evaluations.
- Assisting in teaching staff, veterinary externs, and college interns at NWR about wildlife medicine.
- Ability to pursue research in areas of interest if desired and time-permitting.
Candidate should have an interest in pursuing a career in wildlife rehabilitation medicine or a similar path and should be able to work with a wide variety of people in an often fast-paced environment. Candidates must possess a DVM, VMD, or equivalent degree and be able to obtain a Nebraska veterinary license.
Compensation for the one-year program: $32,500
Health (50% paid), dental, & vision insurance package after 60 days of continuous employment
Nebraska State License fees paid
$600 Countinuing education budget
Two weeks paid vacation time
Proof of current COVID and rabies vaccines required
All applications should be submitted throught the VIRMP portal. Questions about the internship should be sent to Allison Carter, DVM at email@example.com.