Veterinary Student Externships
Nebraska Wildlife Rehab (NWR) is offering clinical year externships to veterinary students. The extern will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of medical care at NWR, including initial triage and examination, diagnostics, treatment, surgery, and pre-release evaluations. NWR receives approximately 6,000-7,000 animals each year from a wide variety of local species, including many bird and mammal species as well as a variety of reptiles and amphibians. NWR operates in a large new Wildlife Center and Hospital, equipped with a wide variety of advanced medical equipment. The extern will be an important part of the medical team’s daily operation and will work with the staff veterinarian, veterinary technician, and rehabilitation staff during medical case management.
Externship responsibilities and opportunities will include:
- Assisting with and conducting intake examinations, performing initial diagnostics, creating treatment plans, and updating medical records.
- Assisting with recheck examinations and treatments.
- Assisting with surgeries, including orthopedic surgeries.
- Assisting with and performing necropsies.
- Communicating with rehabilitation staff about cases and learning relevant aspects of rehabilitation.
- The opportunity to practice skills and procedures on cadavers as desired and time permitting.
Candidates should have an interest in pursuing a career in wildlife rehabilitation medicine or a similar path and should be able to work with a wide variety of people in an often fast-paced environment. Candidates should be in their clinical year during the externship period. The minimum externship duration is 3 weeks and externships are available throughout the year, though the heaviest caseload occurs annually from May through September.
This position is unpaid. Housing and transportation are the responsibility of the veterinary student. Proof of current rabies and COVID vaccines are required.
The applicant should email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to Erin Higgins at email@example.com.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and the program is limited to no more than two externs at one time. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.